Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Another day in paradise...







Paradise... did I just say that? It hasn't exactly been paradise at the McCullers household the past few days~ Ya win some and lose some, right:) For starters, Brendan was sick- I think he almost had the flu~ but is finally feeling better. Now the rest of this post may sound more like a vent from a tired Mommy... Chris has been a handful the past couple of days... he's always a handful- but in a sweet, good natured, loving way. I'm happy to report that the sweet, loving Chris has now returned (knock on wood), but the past few days were extremely trying. Every little thing set him off, he was moody, sensitive, whiney... should I go on? Then, on Monday, his teacher had "the talk" with me... She said that he had had a rough day in school~ That he was the leader in his class and that every kid looks up to Chris... but that meant when he had a bad day, the whole class had a bad day. After talking with her, she did reassure me that he is usually so well-behaved and sweet, but that he just wasn't listening. Chris has since informed me that a bug flew in his mouth and told him to be bad. It's all the bugs fault. He also told me he was mad at his teacher because he said his favorite color was blue and she said it was pink. It has now come out that the teacher was passing out paper and gave Chris a pink piece- He wanted blue, and she said "Ya get what ya get, and you don't throw a fit." Brendan and I think he may have been fighting off being sick, or that may just be us making excuses as to why he was being so bad:) Today, he was still having a no good, very bad day- and again said the bug was in his mouth. When I tried to get it out, it had moved to his stomach, so Addie and I did "surgery" and removed the bug. Chris is back to himself:) Oh, and we also read the story Pinochio~ I think my son may have a wonderful imagination:)

And remember how I brag about Addie being so great. My troubles don't stop with her. I rocked Chris to sleep until he was 2 1/2 years old- every single day and I loved it. When Addie was born, she always liked to nurse and then just be put in her bed. She has never been a "cuddler"- she's the type of girl that likes to get in HER bed and sprawl out and go to bed on her own terms (which has always been in less than two minutes). I had mixed feelings about that- I missed cuddling with her like I did Chris, but I'll have to admit, she made it so easy so I could spend time with Chris before bed. She really has been such an easy baby... until last week. We had done the normal bedtime routine- baths, brushed our teefers, and read our books. After her books, she looked up at me and wanted to be cuddled- of course I wasn't going to miss out on that, so I rocked her to sleep- It was all good... until the next night. She wanted to be rocked to sleep. And the next night. And the next night. And the next night.... I'm not just talking about a few minutes... 45 minutes of straight rocking and singing~ Don't get me wrong I love that she wants me- but it was so easy... and to start this at 18 months, what did I do!?
I guess on days like this, I try to remember...
"So tell me how to stop the years from racing...is there a secret someone knows?
I'll never catch all the memories I'm chasing...I'll never be ready to let go."

Even on days that I'm about to pull my hair out, when I look at them so innocent in their beds, I am so thankful that I'm able to magically remove any bugs that may be telling my child to be awful, and I will always "rock rock" away:)
"I'll love you forever,
I'll like you for always,
As long as I'm living
my babies you'll be."